You can watch all of the Very Local shows for free!
Download the Very Local channel for FREE on your Roku, Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV or Android TV.
One of Oklahoma’s most notorious cases, the 1977 murders of girl scouts Lori Farmer, Doris Denise Milner and Michele Guse have haunted the community of Locust Grove and beyond for decades.
You can watch the full episode of The Oklahoma Girl Scout Murders on Hometown Tragedy, streaming only on Very Local
On June 12, 1977, Girl Scouts from Tulsa and surrounding areas arrived at Camp Scott in Locust Grove, Oklahoma.
As the girls went to sleep for the night, a thunderstorm rolled through into the early hours the next morning. When counselor Carla Wilhite heard something in the middle of the night, she got up to investigate. She heard a guttural moaning sound coming from the main road through camp. After investigating, she determined it was probably just an animal so she returned to bed.
The next morning on her way to the shower house, Wilhite made a horrible discovery. This was the beginning of a nightmare that would last decades as investigators try to uncover clues about the atrocious crimes committed at Camp Scott.
Prior to the murders, there was suspicious activity happening at Camp Scott that raised red flags. One counselor reported finding a tent slashed open. Others reported having items stolen from their tents and hearing noises in the distance.
Over 40 years later, investigators from the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation along with the current sheriff of Mayes County, Mike Reed, are still searching for answers. With the advancements of forensic technology and funds Reed was able to raise, they are able to reanalyze key pieces of evidence, making great strides in hopefully identifying who committed this terrible crime.
Want to learn more about the 1977 Oklahoma Girl Scout murders?
- The Generation Why Podcast: Oklahoma Girl Scout Murders
- Murder with my Husband: Michelle, Lori and Denise – The Oklahoma Girl Scout Murders
- Mile Higher: Unsolved: The Chilling 1977 Oklahoma Girl Scout Murders
- Morbid: A True Crime Podcast: Oklahoma Girl Scout Murders Part I
- Ghost Town: Oklahoma Girl Scout Murders
- Crime Shack: 1977 Gil Scout Murders
- The Camp Scott Murders by C.S. Kelly
- Girl Scout Murders: The True Story of Violent Death and Indian Justice by Charles W. Sasser
- Oklahoma’s Most Notorious Cases: Machine Gun Kelly Kidnapping, US vs. David Hall, Girl Scout Murders, Karen Silkwood, Sirloin Stockade Murders, OKC Bombing by Kent Frates
Want more true crime?
Very Local is your best source for shows about local communities, bringing you 24/7 access to news from your trusted local news source, weather updates, and more. Very Local also brings you fresh, untold stories from your very own city and communities like yours, with exclusive original shows and local stories specific to where you live. Get the channel to stream Very Local free on Roku or Amazon Fire TV.