From Sept. 8- 14th, Very Local Pittsburgh will be rolling out a special week of stories with the theme of learning new things.
There is something about the end of summer that brings up some memories of back-to-school season. Do you recall that general feeling of anticipation? The excitement of choosing a new backpack and cracking open a pristine notebook?
The Very Local team has put together a week of back-to-school stories themed around classes you remember — home ec, phys ed, art, history — but with a more adult, DIY, and socially distant spin. Get ready to learn some new skills, take a phys ed class and learn some local history.
Day 1 – Home Ec.
For many folks, 2020 has meant more time at home. And what better way to reconnect with home, than Home Ec.
Day 2 – Phys. Ed.
From dancing to fall hikes, this is not your high school gym class
- Outdoor yoga classes
- Meet PearlArts Studio, located in Point Breeze, they are now offering dance classes online
- Fall foliage outings
Day 3 – Literary & Visual Arts
Classes to take, things to make, books to read
Day 4 – History
Brush up on your local lore, impress your friends, win at trivia
- Obscure Pittsburgh history
- How Rick Sebak became Rick Sebak
- The Historical Dilettante’s Untold Tales of Pittsburgh
Day 5 – Science & Technology
Meet some of the Pittsburghers who are sharing their knowledge of coding and astronomy
- Nicole Young shares her experiences of learning to code and Black women in tech on her YouTube channel
- The Amateur Astronomers Association of Pittsburgh has been stargazing since 1929
- Tara Matthews explains how you can use open data to learn more about your neighborhood
Day 6 – Language
- Yinz hear that? A primer on Pittsburgh speech
- T-shirt N’at – the best Pittsburghese t-shirts & gifts
- Elmo learns Pittsburghese