Having trouble with the player? Click here to listen or find Episode 10 in iTunes.
In this episode of The Slaw: Staying on top of Pittsburgh, we talk with Melissa Larrick, taproom manager at Hitchhiker Brewing, about Hitchhiker’s unique locations and Pink Boots Society. Melissa also shares some of her favorite spots in Squirrel Hill. For this week’s collaboration, we take a look at the partnership between Staghorn Cafe & Zeke’s Coffee. And for our event pick of the week, the Pittsburgh Bloody Mary Festival returns in February for a two-day event.
Meet Melissa Larrick, Taproom Manager @ Hitchhiker Brewing
Melissa is the taproom manager at Hitchhiker Brewing and involved with the Pink Boots Society in Pittsburgh.
Follow Melissa on Instagram @srslysue
Hitchhiker Brewing Locations
Hitchhiker Brewing first opened in Mt. Lebanon in 2014 and has since expanded to a larger space in Sharpsburg.
- Sharpsburg – Hitchhitcher beer is now produced at the Sharpsburg location.
- Mt. Lebanon – Taproom
- Allentown – Hitchhiker has a winter pop-up featuring their unique Nomad Truck
Hitchhiker expands into the old Fort Pitt Brewing Building in Sharpsburg
In 2017, Hitchhiker Brewing expanded from Mt Lebanon to Sharpsburg and now occupies the same building where Fort Pitt Brewing was located.
Hitchhiker’s Nomad Truck
Pittsburgh’s very own beer truck. The Hitchhiker team purchased a 1977 Citroen Van that was imported from France (through the Netherlands) and found its way to Pittsburgh. The truck contains a draft system with four tap lines to pour fresh beer; the mobile unit also has the capability to haul and sell four-packs of Hitchhiker cans at pop-up events around the city.
Hitchhiker Brewing’s Oatmilk IPA
Aadam and Melissa talk about Hitchhiker’s unique beer made using an alternative to dairy (oat milk). The Alternate Script was presented to guests at the Hitchhiker taproom as an Oatmilk IPA. The Hitchhiker website has their most recent beer availability updated daily.
Pink Boots Society Pittsburgh
Pink Boots Society is an organization that assists, inspires and encourages women beer professionals to advance their careers through education, providing scholarships for continuing education and professional development opportunities.
Follow Pink Boots Society Pittsburgh on Instagram @pgh.pinkboots.
We tagged along with the Pittsburgh chapter of Pink Boots Society last year and made a video about the brew day at Hop Farm Brewing.
Pink Boots Society Scholarships
In addition to local events and education, Pink Boots Society offers scholarships to help women grow their knowledge in the beer industry. Learn more about the Pink Boots Society scholarships here.
[Check out Episode 06 of The Slaw for our interview with Lauren Hughes who is the assistant head brewer at Penn Brewery and a member of Pink Boots Society Pittsburgh.]
Some of Melissa’s Favorite Places in Squirrel Hill
- Manor Theater – independent movie theater (check out our guide to independent movie theaters in Pittsburgh)
- Squirrel Hill Cafe aka The Cage – affordable dive bar
- Independent Brewing Company – bar & restaurant that features local beers
A very Pittsburgh Collaboration: Staghorn Cafe & Zekes Coffee
Located in Greenfield, Staghorn Cafe is a neighborhood coffee shop, cafe & gift shop. Staghorn partners with local coffee roaster Zeke’s Coffee for the coffee. [ICYMI – check out our story on Zeke’s local hot chocolate.]
Staghorn also showcases the work of local poets. Follow the Staghorn Poetry Series Facebook Page for more information.
Website | Instagram @StaghornGardenCafe | Facebook
Events: Pittsburgh Bloody Mary Festival
Pittsburgh Bloody Mary Festival takes place on the weekend of February 15 & 16, 2020. The Bloody Mary Festival takes place Downtown at the Pennsylvanian.
Restaurants and bars from around the city will be bringing their best Bloody Mary beverages for you to sample and vote for the best one.
Tickets: $35/General Admission, $45/Early Admission, $59/2 day pass
Give Us a Call
Have an event we should know about? Know of a partnership we should highlight on the podcast? How about a collaboration? We’d love to hear from you!
We’re always looking for new Pittsburgh stories to share. If you leave a message we just might feature your pick in our newsletter or on our podcast.
Give us a call and leave a message. We want to hear from you!
* Please note, By leaving a message on this service, you consent to your voice being recorded and used by Very Local Pittsburgh in The Slaw podcast and elsewhere.
Subscribe to The Slaw: Staying on Top of Pittsburgh podcast
The Slaw Podcast is available on:
Take a listen to some of the past episodes of The Slaw: Staying on Top of Pittsburgh
- Episode 09: Ben Wong on Vietnamese Food // Banjo Night at the Elks // Rolling Pepperoni to open storefront with the help of Honeycomb Credit [listen | iTunes |show notes]
- Episode 08: Boaz Frankel on urSol the Chanter & Interviewing Elmo // Provision PGH & Hop Farm // Looking forward to 2020 [listen | iTunes |show notes]
- Episode 07: Lillian Rafson of Pack Up & Go // Dancing Gnome and Pear and the Pickle // New Year’s Eve [listen | iTunes | show notes]
- Episode 06: Lauren Hughes, Assistant Head Brewer at Penn Brewery // Pigeon Bagels + Redhawk Coffee // New Year, New Galaxy @ Black Forge II [listen | iTunes | show notes]
- Episode 05: Slow Fashion with Jessa Gibboney // Pittsburgh Record Night // Fire Fest at Grist House [listen | iTunes | show notes]
- Episode 04: Karen Lue // Pennsylvania Libations & Helltown Brewing // Red Beans & Rice Combo’s 2019 Holiday Spectacular [listen | iTunes | show notes]
- Episode 03: Civil War Pittsburgh // Make+Matter & Burghwood [listen | iTunes | show notes]
- Episode 02: Quelcy Kogel // Honkey Tonk Jukebox [listen | iTunes | show notes]
- Episode 01: DJ Arie Cole // Larder & East End Brewing [listen | iTunes | show notes]