The Slaw 04: Karen Lue // 1700 Penn // Red Beans & Rice Holiday Show
In this episode of The Slaw: Staying on top of Pittsburgh, we talk to Karen Lue -- a practicing artist and full-time manager of the new Pitt Global Hub -- about places she is inspired by here in Pittsburgh.
In this episode of The Slaw: Staying on top of Pittsburgh, we talk to Karen Lue — a practicing artist and full-time manager of the new Pitt Global Hub — about places she is inspired by here in Pittsburgh. For our collaboration of the week, we preview the new bottle shop and taproom in the Strip, a partnership between Pennsylvania Libations & Helltown Brewing. Plus, we share some events to help you get into the holiday spirit.
Pitt Global Hub
Karen is the manager of the Pitt Global Hub at the University of Pittsburgh. The Pitt Global Hub is located in Posvar Hall and serves as a space to connect students to global opportunities on campus. From the Pitt Global Hub Facebook page:
The Hub provides information about different countries and cultures around the world; events with a global or international focus happening around campus; funding, internship, and service-learning opportunities; study abroad programs; and more.
Think of the Pitt Global Hub as a one-stop-shop for students to find out about how to internationalize and globalize their degree.
The Pitt Global Hub space includes:
- Display cases for Nationality Rooms & Libraries
- Events to connect students to other opportunities on campus
- Space for professors to hold office hours
Some of Karen’s favorite spaces in Pittsburgh
- Constellation Coffee in Lawrenceville for coffee
- Madeline’s Bakery in Regent Square for pastries
- How Lee in Squirrel Hill for authentic Chinese food
- Chengdu Gourmet in Squirrel Hill for authentic Sichuan style Chinese food
- Apteka in Lawrenceville for vegan polish food and cocktails
Places that feel like home (& spark creativity)
Aadam and Karen discuss places that feel like home, some of the places Karen likes are:
- First Fridays on Penn Ave
- Carnegie Library
- Classic Lines Bookstore in Squirrel Hill – reading is part of the creative process
Karen Lue’s Artwork
You can view Karen’s photography and artwork on her website and on Instagram @wh0pper_jr.
A very Pittsburgh Collaboration: 1700 Penn a new bar & bottle shop in the Strip District
PA Libations & Helltown Brewing are working on opening 1700 Penn, a new bar and bottleshop, in the Strip District. Helltown Brewing has a taproom is in Mt. Pleasant and this new location will be within the city limits. PA Libations, which already has a location in the Strip District will be expanding their offerings with a second location.
Events: Holiday Movies & Red Beans & Rice Holiday Spectacular
AMC Waterfront Classic Movie Nights
The AMC movie theater at the Waterfront is showing classic holiday movies every Tuesday & Thursday in December. Tickets to the classic movies are just $5 ($7 for VIP seats). Follow the AMC Classic Movie Nights Facebook page for updates.
Tuesday // December 3
- 7:30 pm – A Christmas Story (1983) @ AMC Waterfront
Thursday // December 5
- 7:30 PM – Scrooged (1988) @ AMC Waterfront
Tuesday // December 10
- 7:30 PM – How the Grinch Stole Christmas (2000) @ AMC Waterfront
Tuesday // December 17
- 7:30 PM – National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation (1989) @ AMC Waterfront
Thursday // December 19
- 7:30 PM – White Christmas (1954) @ AMC Waterfront
Red Beans & Rice Band 2019 Holiday Spectacular
Stephanie offers a preview of the Red Beans & Rice Combo’s upcoming holiday show, which will feature a dramatic reading of “A Visit from Saint Nicholas” by Rick Sebak. (ICYMI read our Sandwich with Sebak story here.)
The 3rd annual Red Beans & Rice Holiday Spectacular will returns to the Allegheny Elks Lodge on Saturday, December 7. The Red Beans & Rice Combo will bring their rock, rhythm and jazz stylings to holiday songs. Plus, there’s a cookie table.
December 7: Red Beans & Rice Holiday Spectacular
- Date: Saturday, December 7, 2019
- Time: 8 pm – 11 pm
- Location: Allegheny Elks Lodge #339
- Tickets: $12.50 in advance, $15 at the door
- Facebook Event
Looking for more holiday performances to celebrate the season? Check out our guide to holiday performances in Pittsburgh.
Give Us a Call
Have an event we should know about? Know of a partnership we should highlight on the podcast? How about a collaboration? We’d love to hear from you!
We’re always looking for new Pittsburgh stories to share. If you leave a message we just might feature your pick in our newsletter or on our podcast.
Give us a call and leave a message. We want to hear from you!
* Please note, By leaving a message on this service, you consent to your voice being recorded and used by Very Local Pittsburgh in The Slaw podcast and elsewhere.
Subscribe to The Slaw: Staying on Top of Pittsburgh podcast
The Slaw Podcast is available on: