In this episode of The Slaw: Staying on top of Pittsburgh, we talk to Boaz Frankel, a writer, filmmaker and contributor to Very Local about the puppet from The Dark Crystal that lives at the Children’s Museum and his interview with Elmo. For this weeks collaboration, we take a look at the partnership between Hop Farm Brewing and Provision PGH. And the Very Local team shares some of the events we are looking forward to in 2020.
Meet Boaz Frankel, Writer & Filmmaker
Boaz and his wife, author Brooke Barker (aka Sad Animal Facts), moved to Pittsburgh earlier this year. Boaz has created videos for Very Local Pittsburgh as well as interviewed some Pittsburghers over their favorite sandwich.
Here a some of the videos Boaz has created for Very Local Pittsburgh:
Here are some of the Pittsburghers that Boaz has interviewed for Very Local:
- Damon Young
- Josh Getzoff, Announcer for Pittsburgh Penguins
- Mayor Bill Peduto
- Pastry Chef Casey Renee
- Rick Sebak
urSol the Chanter from The Dark Crystal
You can read more about urSol the Chanter and The Pittsburgh Children’s Museum here.
Looking to learn more about The Dark Chrystal? Check out The Dark Crystal subreddit here.
Get to know the Puppetry Guild of Pittsburgh
Elmo loves Yinz too
To celebrate 50 years of Sesame Street, Elmo made a visit to the Carnegie Science Center this summer. While he was in town, Boaz had a chance to teach Elmo some Pittsburghese. Check out Boaz’s interview with Elmo here.
— Elmo (@elmo) June 14, 2019
A very Pittsburgh Collaboration: Hop Farm Brewing & Provision PGH
This week’s collaboration is a food and beer pairing. Provision PGH, which started as part of Smallman Galley, is now providing the food at Hop Farm Brewing in Lawrenceville.
Events: What we are looking forward to in 2020
- Stephanie: Pittonatonk will return for the annual May Day celebration. Special guests to be announced soon.
- Aadam: Cinderlands in Lawrenceville becomes Cinderlands Foederhouse. Grand re-opening on January 23.
- Lindsay: Dirty Dozen Bike Ride takes place in the fall. Hundreds of cyclists try to tackle a dozen of the steepest hills in town in one day.
Subscribe to The Slaw: Staying on Top of Pittsburgh podcast
The Slaw Podcast is available on:
Give Us a Call
Have an event we should know about? Know of a partnership we should highlight on the podcast? How about a collaboration? We’d love to hear from you!
We’re always looking for new Pittsburgh stories to share. If you leave a message we just might feature your pick in our newsletter or on our podcast.
Give us a call and leave a message. We want to hear from you!
* Please note, By leaving a message on this service, you consent to your voice being recorded and used by Very Local Pittsburgh in The Slaw podcast and elsewhere.