This Week(end) in Pittsburgh: Skate into Spring, Food Truck Giddyup & Whiskey Sour Cocktail Class
Come skate into spring at our $8 Skate Date, find your favorite food trucks at Spring Hill Brewing or take a class in making a cocktail that prevents scurvy
March is here and we are marching right through the last few weeks of winter. March means we are a few more weeks closer to the spring. We read all of the listings, reviews, and recommendations to pick out the best ways to beat cabin fever this weekend.
If you do one thing this weekend, come to our debut event on Sunday, March 3! Skate into spring with us and celebrate the last day of the ice skating season at our $8 Skate Date. You get to skate and sip fancy hot chocolate and it all benefits 412 Food Rescue.
Aside from our great skate date on Sunday, we’ve got some ideas to keep you warm, fed and safe from scurvy this winter season.
Wednesday, February 27, 2019
- TRIVIA // Classic TV Trivia Night @ Harris Grill’s Grilligans Island. Do you know why the S.S. Minnow’s flag was at half mast during the opening credits of Gilligan’s Island? A: The JFK assassination delayed filming of the pilot episode
- READING // The Bridge Series literary reading featuring Malcolm Friend, Pam Goldman, and Geeta Kothari. Benefits Casa San José.
Thursday, February 28, 2019
- COMEDY // Three Women, One Mic @ Scratch – comedy with a side of chicken and smoked mac and cheese. Yes, please.
— Scratch & Co (@scratchco_pgh) February 27, 2019
Friday, March 1, 2019
- MUSIC // Princess’s “Out There” World Tour Kick-off @ Warhol Museum – Check out our story about the Princess performance here. This duo will take the tour around the world, but they are launching right here in Pittsburgh.
We welcome Princess, comprised of Alexis Gideon and Michael O’Neill (JD Samson & MEN), for their world premiere of "Out There" on Friday, March 1. Get tickets: https://t.co/FVGWphoLMt #Pittsburgh #music #video #LiveMusic #LGBTQ pic.twitter.com/euUyrfmopi
— The Andy Warhol Museum (@TheWarholMuseum) February 18, 2019
- BEER // Juicy Brews Late Night Take Over @ Smallman Galley – Did you miss out on Hop Culture x Cinderlands’ Juicy Brews Late Night beer fest tickets? (Because rumor has it they sold out in six minutes.) Make a late night stop at Smallman Galley for this tap takeover to appease a little of your FOMO.
What better place to be on a Friday night than at our Juicy Brews Late Night Takeover! Beers will be flowing from 9pm until midnight so be sure to stop in and try a few! https://t.co/AAYCXpqv8v pic.twitter.com/D9h4BJqKu6
— Smallman Galley (@SmallmanGalley) February 25, 2019
Saturday, March 2, 2019
- EAT // Food Truck Giddyup @ Spring Hill Brewing – What’s a Food Truck Giddyup? According to Spring Hill Brewing, it’s a food truck roundup…but just a little bit smaller. This installment features THE HUNGRY CAO (authentic Chinese fare), MR. BULGOGI (Korean fusion tacos), and PIEBIRD (scratch pastry kitchen). There’s indoor seating, so inclement weather can’t stop the giddyup.
- EAT, DRINK & DANCE // Carnaval with Timbeleza @ Casa Brasil
Sunday, March 3, 2019
- SKATE // Very Local’s $8 Skate Date to Benefit 412 Food Rescue @ MassMutual Pittsburgh Ice Rink at PPG Place
- BIKE // Northside Mardi Gras Bicycle Booze Cruise – Bear Dog Bicycles is leading a bar/brewery tour through the Northside on March 3rd ending at Allegheny City Brewing. Decorate your bike to celebrate the festivities and you could win a free tune-up just in time for spring.
Monday, March 4, 2019
- LEARN // Whiskey Sour Cocktail Class @ Wigle Whiskey Tasting Room at William Penn – Does the thought of using egg whites in a cocktail intimidate you? This class will put your fears to rest, and give you the practice you need to become a more confident mixologist. A little history of the cocktail from the Alcohol Professor:
Professional sailors suffered from scurvy and other malnutrition and sea-sicknesses, up until a bartender’s hero named Vice Admiral Edward Vernon of England began mixing a few ingredients together to serve to his crew. Sailors had a ration of various things, like limes and lemons to prevent scurvy, and liquor for something safe to drink. To prevent a ship full of intoxicated shipmates, the liquor, usually rum once it was discovered, was watered down and lemon or lime juice was added to mask the flavor of the rum. Hence, we have a very early version of the Sour.
Tuesday, March 5
- THEATER // Pick Your Price Previews of “The Roommate” @ City Theater
Save the Date: Thursday, March 14
We’re just about done with our calculations for a perfect Pi Day party. Stay tuned!